adv

Veeam, Microsoft support hybrid cloud use with data protection partnership

(from left) Joseph Chan, Daniel Kwong and Asanga WanigatungaHong Kong is "a bit behind" in terms of public cloud adoption, compared to its regional counterparts such as Singapore, said Veeam Software's Hong Kong Country Manager Joseph Chan (pictured, left), at the VeeamON Forum held in Hong Kong last month.

The main cloud adoption barrier for Veeam's customers in Hong Kong remains data security, Chan said. "Hybrid cloud is everything about data. Our customers are typically concerned about whether their data can be recovered from the cloud or their on-premise systems rapidly, and whether the data stored in the cloud are well-protected and encrypted. This applies to customers of all sizes."

To foster hybrid cloud adoption in Hong Kong, Veeam Software last month announced to have become one of the launch partners to support Microsoft Azure Stack. This extends Veeam's capabilities to provide data protection and availability across Microsoft Azure.

Released in July and to be made available in early 2018, Azure Stack is an extension of Azure that helps to deliver cloud computing to on-premise environments -- by delivering Azure services from an organization's data center for hybrid cloud deployments.

To support Azure Stack, Veeam Availability solutions offers a common backup and management platform for on-premise, virtual, physical and cloud environments to ensure rapid recovery of mission-critical applications, while enabling service providers to manage and maintain control and visibility by tracking tenant and end user usage.

"As an extension of Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Azure Stack enables a truly consistent hybrid cloud solution for customers, which empowers them to maximize their investments across cloud and on-premises environments," said Mark Jewett, senior director, Azure hybrid product marketing, Microsoft.

Solving 85% backup needs

"When we first entered into the cloud business, we tried to sell workload and network," said Daniel Kwong (pictured, middle), senior vice president, IT and security services of CITIC Telecom CPC. "Since 2012, our customers have increasingly requested us to ensure system availability when they put their workload on our clouds. Today, around 50-60% of our customers ask for some sort of back up."

"Data backup is a complicated thing, there is no one size fits all, as some backup are software-specific, such as that of Oracle database," Kwong said.

Since six years ago, CITIC Telecom CPC has used Veeam's infrastructure virtualization backup solutions for its customers.

"Veeam provides good data backup solutions that serve 85% our backup needs of our customers. The remaining 15% involves the use of legacy, physical systems," he said.

Protecting data in hybrid cloud

Organizations increasingly adopt a mixed strategy when considering hybrid cloud adoption, said Asanga Wanigatunga (pictured, right), Veeam Software's senior director of APJ cloud group. "Instead of wanting to put everything in one cloud, organizations now tend to put the right workload in the right cloud."

"When customers go to the cloud, they are not asking to buy a product, they are buying an outcome," he said. "They are buying a price point a well as a service level agreement."

In a world of hybrid cloud and multi-cloud, organizations need a platform that can protect the data across all of these.

With Veeam Availability Platform for the hybrid cloud, one can hyperscale the on-premise systems and software-as-a-service like Azure and AWS, he said.

The Veeam Availability Platform comprises a suite to ensure availability for virtual, physical and cloud-based workloads; an agent for Microsoft Windows and for Linux to provide availability for physical and cloud-based workloads hosted by Windows- or Linux-based servers; backup and recovery service for Microsoft Office 365 email data; availability solution for AWS to back up and recover AWS cloud-based workloads via AWS EC2 instances; a solution that deliver disaster recovery orchestration of Veeam backups and replicas; a console to provide consolidated management for virtual, physical and cloud-based workloads; and Veeam Cloud Connect to enable workloads and data to move among on-premise and cloud-based locations.

"This allows organizations to decouple their data and applications from anything they want, and then move it around they want to, giving them workload mobility," Wanigatunga added.



Comments